Kayak UK - Kaskazi Kayaks

Official Forum for Kaskazi Kayak Owners & Prospective Purchasers.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
A big welcome to all Kaskazi paddlers and guests, owners or those just thinking of purchasing one of these fine kayaks, this is the forum for you.
Share | 

Transducer mount and battery box...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bnz

PostSubject: Transducer mount and battery box...   Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:40 am

After many experiments with different methods of mounting a transducer inside the hull of my dorado and marlin I have found what works best for me in getting the best signal in deeper waters. I first tried using electrical putty and while it works in my poly kayaks in my dorado with a foam core it barely picked up a signal, and only half the time at that. I also wasn't pleased with the results of using goop so ripped that out. My next try was to fashion my own humminbird-type transducer mount out of fiberglass and using a grease similar to theirs. While this worked well in waters to 100', in anything deeper than that I was getting inconsistent signals.

In my old wilderness system 160i I had a pvc well I used in the hull to place my transducer in water. It worked well for me and I never had any problems with it. Not wanting to glue down a pvc well in the hull of the dorado or marlin, I decided to fashion my own out of fiberglass.

First step was to use a 4" pvc fitting as my mold:

Once this was done the well was glassed to the hull with fairing filler:

I then mounted my transducer onto a 4" fernco cap:

All I need to do now is fill the well with saltwater, place on the cap, and I get consistent signals all the time no matter what depth.

I also wanted an easy method of keeping my battery in the hull without it bouncing around. My old pelican box I used to use to hold the battery would not fit through the 8" hatch behind the seat and I didn't want to place it in the fishbox. So what I did was create a battery box out of fiberglass and glass it to the seat. Now all I have to do is drop my battery in and it stays put, even when flipping the kayak over.

Next up on my list, making a custom fiberglass bait tank to fit in the kaskazi crate. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thornie

PostSubject: mods   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:02 pm

very impressed bud ,I eventually placed my battery box in the rear hatch ,your solution is great you obviously know how to work glass nce one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trev1968

PostSubject: Re: Transducer mount and battery box...   Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:55 pm

i used the battery bag out of the trident and fixed it in the middle hatch useing 4 holes were hatch is rivited redrilled and bolted it hangs good and keeps it dry. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Transducer mount and battery box...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1